Firearms Ordering Guidelines & Policies
Yes, you can order firearms online! Unlike other items, firearms can only be picked up at a Big R store. Please note: Actual possession is only transferred in-person after all applicable government requirements, including background checks, are fulfilled. You should check your applicable federal, state, and local laws before attempting to acquire a firearm.
How To Order:
- Browse our assortment and when you've found the item(s) you want, select "Pickup Instore".
- Under AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP, select Check Store Availability
- Choose the Big R Store where you would like to pick up your items
- Provide the zip code for your state of residency. You can only add items to your cart that you are permitted to purchase in your state of residency.
- Choose the Big R store at which you would like to pick up your item(s).
- Availability of pickup location depends on whether the items you order are allowed to be sold by Big R in that location or not.
- Review and agree to our Firearm Ordering & Policies Agreement. Or, if you do not agree, you may cancel out without adding the item to your cart.
- Complete the checkout process. Your local jurisdiction may impose an additional background-check fee or firearm tax that you will need to pay at time of pickup.
- You will receive an email from the store you selected notifying you to come to the store to complete the appropriate government transfer process(es) and background checks. Please bring with you all of the necessary documents and information, including the credit used to make the purchase.
- Only after all of the applicable documentation and processes have been successfully completed will the transfer occur.
For questions regarding your firearm purchase, please contact your Big R store. Firearms will be picked up at the store they were ordered from. Any other items in your order will be picked up at the store you've selected for those other items. You'll receive an email notification when your items arrive at the location you have chosen.
Fees or Taxes, Shipping and Returns
- State and local jurisdictions can impose additional fees or taxes that must be paid prior to taking ownership of your firearm (for example, background-check fees or local taxes).
- Handguns can only be acquired in your state of residence.
- Long guns can only be acquired within a state that allows them to be sold. You can only obtain long guns that you're allowed to purchase in your state of residence.
- When you receive the firearm at a Big R store, please inspect the firearm before accepting the transfer.
- Once you complete the applicable government transfer process and accept firearm possession, the firearm cannot be returned Big R. BIG R DOES NOT ACCEPT RETURNS OF ANY FIREARMS.
Important Restrictions and Terms
- Orders that contain firearms must be placed and paid for by the actual recipient of the firearm(s).
- You will be required to present the original form of payment at the time you come in to complete the necessary transfer process(es). Failure to present this payment could result in the order being cancelled.
- Handgun buyers must be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of the state where the transfer will occur.
- Long gun buyers must be 18 years of age or older and a resident of the state where the transfer will occur.
- Pistol-grip shotgun buyers must be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of the state where the transfer will occur.
- Receiver or Frame buyers must be 21 years of age or older, and a resident of the state where the transfer will occur.
- Firearm transfer and use is subject to government regulation. It is your ultimate responsibility to ensure you are in compliance with all regulations that apply to the purchase of firearms and ammunition.
- We cannot sell some items in certain jurisdictions.
- Firearms are sold only as equipped. We do not add to or take away from the manufacturer's configuration.
Instore Pickup Process & Requirements
- You will receive an email from the store notifying you that you need to come to the store to begin the acquisition process, including the background check. Bring the original form of payment in addition to your government-issued photo identification so we can validate your order, identity, age, and current residency address. **NOTE: Your state of residence or local jurisdiction may have a specific license or permit requirement. If so, you must possess the required credentials before you may take possession of the firearm. Please check your applicable federal, state, or local laws if you have any questions.
- You will be asked to record your current residence address on ATF Form 4473, Firearms Transaction Record. If the address on your government-issued photo identification does not agree with your current residence address, you must bring another government-issued document with you for address verification. Examples of other government documents would include: A vehicle registration, a vehicle title, a hunting license or a voter identification card.
- For non-IL residents, once your paperwork is completed we will, in accordance with local, state and Federal law, complete the required background check. Only upon a successful completion of the background check and necessary paperwork will the sale be completed.
- Illinois residents will follow the same Instore Pickup Process & Requirements mentioned above, plus the state and local requirements outlined below.
- Buyer must possess a valid FOID card. Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearms or firearm ammunition within the State must have in his or her possession a valid FOID card issued in his or her name.
- Buyer must verify local firearm ordinance requirements.
- Buyer must display valid FOID card to Big R prior to handling firearm.
- Buyer must complete Federal Form ATF 4473.
- Big R notifies the Illinois State Police (ISP), Firearms Services Bureau to perform a background check in accordance with state and federal laws.
- Big R receives an "Approval" from ISP to transfer the firearm.
- Buyer must abide by the State of Illinois waiting period before taking possession of the firearm. The waiting period for a long gun is 24 hours and 72 hours for a hand gun.
- Upon taking possession of the firearm, the firearm must be unloaded and enclosed in a case to transport.
Additional Information: A Firearm Owner’s Identification (FOID) application can be downloaded from the Illinois State Police web site at www.isp.state.il.us.
Warning: You must be 18 years or older to purchase rifle or shotgun ammunition and 21 years of age or older to purchase handgun ammunition. All ammunition must be picked up in store. We will not ship ammunition. All Federal, State and Local laws apply. No refunds or exchanges on ammunition. All Sales FINAL. For safety and legal reasons, we cannot and do not accept returns on ammunition. Always make sure you’re using the correct ammunition for your specific firearm.
Attention: Residents of IL and OH, please check your local laws for restrictions prior to ordering any ammunition products.